Sunday, September 26, 2010

Do you Know The Story of The Boy Who Lived? An Appeal to Muggles

Have you someone in your life who hasn’t read the Harry Potter books? Have you encouraged them only to be greeted with rolling eyes and an “I’m an adult and I don’t read kids’ books” attitude? It saddens me that there are people we know all around us who are on the wrong path; we will have to reach out to them. If there is a muggle in your life, have him/her read this testament … and pray.

Dear Muggles, or Those Who Don’t Know:

I was once like you old friend. My parents and others used to urge me to read Harry Potter. I would treat their appraisals of the books with scorn. Indeed, I mocked their happiness and contentment with life. A small part of me was confused with their joy and perhaps wanted to share in it, but I was too proud to let The Boy Who Lived into my heart. I was wandering, alone in this world, a muggle without a cause; and then something miraculous happened: I saw the film Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I was intrigued, but still I struggled against the strongest magic of all ... love. Then, finally, I read the books, and I came to realize what a friend I have in Harry.

Brother or sister, have you heard the story of The Boy Who Lived? Perhaps I could come by one afternoon and we could have tea and chat. I have some literature I would like you to read--seven books, actually. You may say, you've seen the movies and do not need to read the books. My friend, the movies are a trap for the weak and the attention challenged, and they are nothing but an echo of the true message. Many of your children have heard the message and believe. Your loved ones have embraced The Boy Who Lived, but we are concerned for you, you poor ignorant muggle. Many years from now as we journey to the next world we would be crushed to leave King's Cross Station without you. Join us, friend. Open the books, open your mind, open your heart, save your soul. "Love has a power beyond the reach of any magic," the apostle Albus taught us that, and that is the joy that awaits you.

OK, seriously dudes and lady dudes, you haven't read the books?! No excuses, read the books then you can pooh-pooh them with knowledge if you like, but you have to read them first. If you don’t know me personally then you should know that I am a confirmed snob, I have an honours degree in English, and I actually thought they were just for kids before I read them--but then I did, and they're great. I've re-read them many times, and with that, I'm more and more impressed with the many intriguing layers throughout the books and the imagination that was used to create that world. The parallels with the real world confront classism, racism, and corrupt governments, and most importantly of all, show that justice and love are worth fighting for; worth dying for. The books are remarkably funny, always compelling, and flat-out page turners. I already have to deal with some people I know not thinking the Beatles are all that great (oh, Elaine); don’t let me suffer through the knowledge that there are obstinate muggles out there meandering aimlessly through life--give the books a chance, and save yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment